Abridge Newsjust landed in the App Store.
The Quick Facts
- Yesterday, January 8th, President Trump delivered his first televised address from the Oval Office.
- In his speech, the president detailed the “growing humanitarian and security crisis at our southern border,” which he called a “crisis of the heart and a crisis of the soul.”
- President Trump accused congressional Democrats of refusing to acknowledge the crisis, and urged them to pass a bill that ends the government shutdown and funds the building of a southern border wall.
- After the President delivered his address, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer gave a joint rebuttal speech in which they accused the president of “holding hostage critical services for the health, safety, and well-being of the American people.”
- The Democratic leaders asked the President to separate the shutdown from arguments over border security in order to pass bipartisan spending bills to reopen the government.