Abridge Newsjust landed in the App Store.
The Quick Facts
- Last week, President Trump announced that his administration is considering a plan to send asylum-seekers at the border to sanctuary cities to wait for their immigration hearings.
- Sanctuary city is a term given to cities like New York City, San Francisco, and Seattle, where laws prohibit local police and correction officers from working with immigration officials to help arrest and deport people living here illegally.
- Trump said on Friday that his administration would be “strongly considering” the proposal, and on Saturday, he tweeted: “The USA has the absolute legal right to have apprehended illegal immigrants transferred to Sanctuary Cities. We hereby demand that they be taken care of at the highest level, especially by the State of California.”
- However, on Sunday press secretary Sarah Sanders said the plan was not the ideal solution, and was just one of many options being considered by the administration.
- Democrats have criticized the White House proposal as a political stunt that uses humans as pawns and would not work.